Saturday December 27, 2014

The American Fortitude Stored at Oswego Port Authority

Ship once transported cargo across Great Lakes
By Lou Sorendo

    The American Fortitude recently arrived at the Port of Oswego Authority under tow of the tug Evans McKeil and will be stored in the Port City for the winter.

    The classic steamer, which is 690 feet in length, is reportedly destined for recycling at a scrap yard in Brownsville, Texas. The American Fortitude was built as the Ernest T. Weir in Lorain, Ohio in 1953 as a vessel in the National Steel Fleet.

    In 2008, under the ownership of the American Steamship Company, she carried a wide variety of cargo including taconite, limestone, iron ore pellets and wheat.

    According to port executive director and CEO Zelko Kirincich, port officials are working with the ship's owners to provide additional services to the vessel.